Comments, compliments and complaints

If you have a comment, compliment or complaint please write to us at comments, compliments and complaints, PO Box 8045, Burton upon Trent, DE14 9JG.

Alternatively, you can complete the comment, compliment or complaint form and submit it online.

If your complaint is concerning issues which are the responsibility of Staffordshire County Council (such as highways, pavements, libraries, education, social care and health for example) please contact Staffordshire County Council .

Complainants should give us their name and a contact address or email address, so that we can acknowledge receipt of the Complaint and keep them informed of its progress.  The Council does not normally investigate anonymous complaints.

What happens if I complain?

We will try to sort out your complaint as quickly as possible. If we can’t sort out the matter there and then, or if you are unhappy with the response you get, you can make a formal complaint.

If you exercise your rights to complain, we will not discriminate against you in any way.

Andrea Davies deals with formal complaints.

You can contact Andrea:

How will we deal with your complaint?

We will pass your complaint to the appropriate Department who will write to you, and do all they can to sort out the problem.

If you are unhappy with their reply, your complaint will be referred to the relevant Head of Service to be reviewed. After a full investigation the Head of Service will reply to you.

If you are still not happy, the matter will be passed to the Chief Executive.

At each stage, you will receive a reply within 10 working days.

We will try to sort out your complaint as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you want to refer the matter to your local ward councillor, please let Andrea Davies know and she will give you the contact details.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman for England

If you are still not happy at the end of the complaints procedure, you can ask for your complaint to be examined independently by the Local Government Ombudsman. 

For advice on making a complaint, or to make a complaint over the telephone, please call the LGO Advice Team on 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983. (Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01or 02) from both mobiles and landlines, and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls. Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.) The Advice Team are available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm. You can also text ‘call back’ to 0762 480 4299.

And you can contact us using a textphone via the Text Relay service (formerly Typetalk).

There are three Local Government Ombudsmen in England. Each of them deals with complaints from different parts of the country, but all new complaints will go to the LGO Advice Team (see above). Make your complaint over the phone, or send it to:

The Local Government Ombudsman

PO Box 4771
Coventry CV4 0EH
Fax: Fax: 024 7682 0001

You can make an enquiry by completing the Local Government Ombudsman's online form

Policy on Dealing with Unreasonable Complainants and Unacceptable Behaviour

The Council has adopted a policy on dealing with unreasonable complainants and unacceptable behaviour.

Making a Complaint against an elected Member (Councillor) or a co-opted Member

If you wish to informally complain about an elected or co-opted Member of the Borough Council or a Parish/Town Council in the Borough of East Staffordshire, please contact the Monitoring Officer whose details are shown below.

If you wish to make a formal complaint that such a Member has breached their Code of Conduct, you should complete the Council’s Member Conduct Complaint Form and send this to the Council’s Standards Committee.

For further information see the council's code of conduct for members, and the information for complainants document, or contact:

Angela Wakefield,
Monitoring Officer,
East Staffordshire Borough Council
PO BOX 8045
Burton upon Trent,
DE14 9JG


Tel: 01283 508000

Fax: 01283 535412

Recent Standards Committee Decisions

Councillor George Allen - 28th February 2017

Councillor Colin Wileman - 27th June 2016