Home > Council tax > Get money off your council tax bill

Get money off your council tax bill

Discounts and reductions

You could get a discount if you:

  • live alone (single person discount)
  • live with people who aren't counted for council tax i.e. persons aged under 18 years of age and those who are disregarded aged 18 years and over.

Get a discount on your council tax

Empty homes

If a property is empty/unfurnished and unoccupied you may be entitled to a 100% discount for up to one month. A full charge becomes payable at the expiry of this period.

If a property is furnished and not used as a main home or is classed as a second home, you will not be entitled to any discount and a full charge is payable.

If a property is undergoing or requires major repairs or structural alterations, you may be entitled to a 50% discount for up to 12 months. A full charge becomes payable at the expiry of this period.

More information on empty homes

Exempt properties

Certain properties are exempt for council tax due to its occupation or condition, including unoccupied or unfurnished homes. An exemption from council tax means there is no council tax to pay.

Read more on exempt properties

People with disabilities

If you or someone you live with is disabled and has had your home adapted you may be eligible for a discount.

More information on disability band reduction

Council tax discount disregards

Certain people can be 'disregarded' for council tax purposes. This means we do not count them when we are working out how many adults live in the property.

More information on council tax discount disregards

Council tax penalties

The Council can impose a penalty if you fail to notify the authority of any changes to your circumstances.

Read more about council tax penalties

Help to pay your bill

Council tax reduction

You could get a council tax reduction to help with your bill if you are unemployed or your household has a low income.

Discretionary housing benefit payments

You may be able to claim discretionary payments to help if you are experiencing hardship caused by unusual or extreme circumstances.