Home > Planning > Trees and hedges > Is there a tree preservation order in my boundary?

Is there a tree preservation order in my boundary?

We are currently experiencing intermittent technical issues whilst migrating to a new Planning system, please accept our apologises during this period.

Pre-application Advice

The pre application and enquiry service has TEMPORARILY been SUSPENDED due to the high volume of applications we are receiving. Pre applications for major and strategic developments will continue to be accepted. 

If you are seeking advice on whether planning permission would be required please see our planning guides.

Alternatively you can submit a certificate of lawfulness application. 

You can view planning data on our online mapping system which includes details of tree preservation orders. You can also view conservation areas which confer protection on most trees, subject to certain exemptions.

If you require further guidance please contact us.

What is a tree preservation order?

We have powers to protect trees which are considered to be of visual amenity value by making tree preservation orders. A tree preservation order can be made on all species of trees, young or old.

Where a tree is protected by an order it is an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or wilfully destroy a tree without the consent of the local planning authority.

Do I need consent from the council to fell trees in my garden?

Only if they are protected by a tree preservation order, are within a conservation area or there is a condition of planning consent relating to the trees. If you are a tenant and not the owner of the trees you may need consent from the owner.

Do I need consent to fell trees on my land, where it is not part of the garden?

You must check if it is protected by a tree preservation order, is located in a conservation area. In relation to large areas of trees you may also require a felling licence from the forestry authority.