If you receive a business rates bill in March for the full financial year, you will begin with an entitlement to pay that bill by 10 equal monthly instalments. From 1st April you can now choose to pay your business rates over 12 monthly instalments within the same financial year. If you receive a bill later in the financial year you will be entitled to fewer instalments, depending on the date.

Please allow sufficient time for your payments to reach us if you pay via the post, a bank, building society or post office.

The following methods of payment are available to you:

Direct debit

Direct debit is the best way to pay. Simple, quick and safe. Just give us the details once, and we'll do the rest. So no need to remember to pay. Spread your payments over the year. You can pay over 10 months or over 12 months.

Sign up to pay by direct debit


You need your debit or credit card and your business rates reference number, which can be found on your bill. Paying like this keeps your costs down, but it means you have to remember when to pay. Why not pay by direct debit instead?

Pay business rates online

Online banking

Your bank will need the following information;

  • Our Bank is The Royal Bank of Scotland
  • Our Bank Sort Code is 16-14-70
  • Our Bank Account number is 10028206 and the account name is East Staffs Borough Council
  • You will also need to quote your Account number, which is shown on the front of your bill.


Telephone our 24 hour service on (01283) 508223. You will need your debit or credit card and your business rates tax reference number, which can be found on your bill.

Credit cards are subject to a 1.6% administrative fee.

In person

You can now pay at Payzone points in 70 outlets within the East Staffordshire area as well as your local post office.

By post

  • You can post payments to Revenues Team, PO Box 8045, Burton upon Trent, DE14 9JG.
  • Please write the Account number shown on your bill together with your name and address, on the back of your cheque or postal order, and make payable to “ESBC”.
  • Receipts will only be given if a stamped addressed envelope is enclosed with the payment.

If payment is not received in accordance with your bill, recovery action will be taken. This could result in your right to pay by instalments being cancelled and the balance of the full year charge becoming payable.