Permitted development

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights".

The most common of these permitted development rights relate to extensions and alterations to dwelling houses, although they also apply to retail, industrial and other types of development. They also allow certain changes of use.

The legislation around this can be very complicated so for advice, take a look at the Planning Portal website section on permissions for the most up to date information.

You can also take a look at the permitted development rights technical guidance.

For further information please contact the planning team.