If you feel that a decision made in the assessment of your Housing Benefit claim is wrong you can ask for that decision to be looked at again.

You normally have one calendar month from the date of our decision letter to do this. This must be in writing.

We may not be able to change the decision if you do not write to us within one calendar month of the decision you disagree with. On receipt of your letter the Reconsideration Officer will do the following:

  • The decision made will be looked at and checked
  • We will take into consideration what you have told us. We may even contact you to ask for more information
  • If the decision is wrong, we will change it
  • We will write to you and let you know what we have decided
  • If we decide not to change the decision, as we think it is correct, we will send you a letter explaining why
  • We will always explain what you should do if you disagree with our decision

If you still disagree with our decision then you have the right to make an appeal to an independent tribunal against the original decision. You have one calendar month to appeal against the decision made by the Reconsideration Officer. This appeal must be done in writing.

In your letter, you should include:

  • which decision you do not agree with and the date of that decision
  • the reasons why you think our decision is wrong
  • the appeal must be signed by the person affected.

When your appeal is received the Appeals Officer

  • Will check your claim again
  • If we change the decision we will write and tell you and explain what you can do next
  • If the decision is not going to be changed, we will send your appeal to the Tribunal Service for Housing Benefit.
  • A copy of the appeal, which is sent to the Tribunal Service will be sent to you
  • The Tribunal Service will ask you to complete a form, called a TAS1, which must be returned to them within 14 days