Making an Application

When submitting for building regulations approval as a householder you have a choice of Full Plans or Building Notice. All commercial work must be submitted using the Full Plans application.

Full Plans

You will need to provide suitable drawings and details for checking prior to commencing work on site. These drawings and details are normally prepared by an architect on your behalf. Once checked we will advise you or your architect if any amendments are required to comply with the building regulations.

Building Notice

The building notice is suitable for minor projects when used in conjunction with an experienced builder. We will not check any plans but you may be asked to provide more information such as structural calculations to prove compliance with the building regulations as the project progresses.

High Risk Buildings

From 1 October 2023 any building control applications for buildings that meet the high risk building definition can only be submitted directly to the Building Safety Regulator.

Find more information about this change and managing building control approval applications for higher-risk buildings.

Application Forms

The following forms are available to download:


By Email

Send your application form and any supporting documents to:

Submit a Plan

Regular users and agents/architects may prefer to register with submit-a-plan. This portal can be used to make a building regulations application to any participating local authority in England and Wales.

By Post

Send your application form and supporting documents should be sent to the follow address:

Building Consultancy
East Staffordshire Borough Council
The Town Hall
King Edward Place 
Burton upon Trent
DE14 2EB


To ensure we can offer our most competitive price, our fees are evaluated on a case by case basis. To discuss your project please contact us on 01283 508609.

If you would prefer to contact us by email send an enquiry to

Please include any relevant drawings you may have or the planning permission reference if your project required planning approval.