Vehicles that have been abandoned on the roads, public or private land may cause a significant nuisance to the residents of that area. Both due to the parking spaces they may be taking up and also the unsightly nature of the abandoned vehicle.
What are the penalties for abandoning a vehicle?
A person who is subject to a criminal conviction for abandoning a vehicle will be liable for a maximum penalty of £2,500 or three months imprisonment or in some cases both.
What to do if you spot an abandoned vehicle
If you believe a vehicle to be abandoned you should report it to your local council providing them with as much information as possible paying particular attention to the following:
- The location of the vehicle (what address is it parked outside or near to)
- The make, model and colour of the vehicle
- The registration number (if visible)
- What is the condition of the vehicle?
- If the vehicle is burnt out
- The amount of time the vehicle has been there