Health and hygiene training

I own a food business - what must I do?

All food business proprietors will have to ensure the following:

  • Food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters commensurate with their work activities.
  • Those responsible for developing and maintaining procedures based on HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) principles or for the operation of relevant guides must have received adequate training in the application of the HACCP principles. This could be advice received from our Environmental Health Officers on the use of Safer Food, Better Business.

I own a business – do I need training?

It is advised that you and your managers receive an appropriate level of food hygiene training otherwise you will find it difficult to manage food safety within your business.

Bodies that offer food hygiene training

East Staffordshire Borough Council does not offer Food Hygiene training, you may be able to find appropriate courses online. The Royal Society for Public Health also accredit courses which can be found at their coursefinder.

What responsibilities do I have?

If you run a food business you will be responsible for identifying any training and instruction needs of food handlers. You will have to determine how these are met.

The measures put in to place should ensure that all food handlers have sufficient knowledge and competence to enable them to handle foods safely. What is appropriate in one business may not be appropriate in another.

The nature and type of supervision necessary will depend upon the number of food handlers within the business, the nature of their work and current training and competence levels.

If you have a high turnover of staff effective supervision and instruction will be of particular importance.

Are Food Hygiene Certificates Required?

EC Regulation 852/2004 on food hygiene which came into force on 1 January 2006 does not specify the need to hold a qualification in order to comply. However, it is important that you are able to show that you and your employees are well enough trained to produce safe food.

What instruction and/or training is required?

The methods of instruction and/or training are a matter for the business to decide. A course of formal instruction is not stipulated in the regulations. However, we strongly recommend that formal training is given to all employees at a basic level to help them produce safe food and to give evidence of their competency.

Appropriate measures must be taken by the food business owners for food handlers who do not speak English as a first language, have learning difficulties, special educational needs, literacy needs, etc.