Register a food business

The registration of businesses used for food operations including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures, is required by law.

It involves completing a form which details the name, address, type of food business, the foods handled, the name of the proprietor, address of head office or registered office, number of people engaged in the food business and whether or not it is a seasonal business.

Register a food business FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Why register?

The purpose of the registration is to provide information to the council, who is responsible for enforcing food law, about the food businesses within its area so that it can target inspection and education programmes effectively. The frequency of visits will depend on the type of business.

Food business operators must ensure that the council always has up to date information on the food business and they are informed about any significant change or closure. It is an offence to give false or incomplete information.

Contact us

Environmental Health
East Staffordshire Borough Council
The Town Hall, King Edward Place Burton upon Trent, DE14 2EB

Telephone: (01283) 508578/508524

Who needs to register?

All food businesses have to register any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with a permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse you only need to tell the council how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles, but no permanent premises, you must let us know where they are normally kept.

The majority of premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact us if you think you might be exempt.

When do I register?

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the council at least 28 days before opening.

How do I register?

Apply for Food Premises Registration 

Once a registration form has been received an officer from the commercial team will visit to carry out an inspection. We aim to visit newly registered premises within 28 days of registration being received.

If you have not heard from us within this period you may begin operating as though your registration has been accepted.

Is there a charge?

There is no charge for registration and the council cannot refuse to register premises.

What happens to my information?

Does it run out after a period of time?

Registration does not need periodic renewal. However, it is the responsibility of the proprietor to notify the council of any changes in the detail provided.

The council is required to keep a register, open to inspection by the public, containing the name and address of the food premises concerned and the type of business operated there. Apart from this, the remaining information on the form is confidential.

The public register of registered food businesses can be viewed at East Staffordshire Borough Council by prior appointment.

For further information go to the UK Government website.