Entertainment from pubs and clubs can make a positive contribution to the community, however it can be a source of noise nuisance.

This type of noise should not stop residents enjoying their own entertainment within their home. It is the responsibility of the licensee to ensure noise from their premises does not affect neighbours.

In addition, certain types of entertainment require a licence, which is issued by the licensing department. Conditions may be put on a licence to help reduce disturbance to residents.

The Council does not have a 24 hour call out service for responding to Statutory Nuisance complaints.  Should you be affected by nuisance noise outside of office hours this should be reported to Environmental Health the next working day, please note the Councils emergency phone line is not to be used in these cases.  Breach of the peace, violence/fights and/or Anti Social Behaviour should be reported to the Police.

What is our noise complaint procedure?

Download the entertainment noise leaflets to find out our complaint procedure:

Submit a complaint

Having read the complaint leaflet above, if you feel the problem has the potential to cause a Statutory Nuisance, please complete the complaint form or contact the Pollution Team.

Submit a complaint