Caravan site licences

Caravan sites within East Staffordshire are required to hold a licence issued by East Staffordshire Borough Council.

Caravan Site

What is a caravan?

A caravan is any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but not railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or a tent.

Do I need a licence for my caravan?

You need a licence to site a caravan unless your circumstances are included in the exemptions listed below:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling house if its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately;
  • A single caravan used by a person for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months;
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres, for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months;
  • Sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club (exempted organisations);
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only;
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling showmen;
  • Sites operated and owned by a local council, county councils or regional councils.

Why do I need a caravan site licence?

In addition to planning permission, all caravan and residential parks need a site licence to operate, issued by the local authority (East Staffordshire Borough Council), to help ensure housing standards are met for the health and safety of residents.

The licence will include specific conditions covering matters such as:

  • The type of caravan e.g. residential, static, holiday or touring
  • The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans
  • Water supply and drainage, lavatory and washing facilities
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations

Where East Staffordshire Borough Council considers that a park owner is failing or has failed to comply with a site licence condition, it can serve a Compliance Notice on the park owner listing the steps that need to be taken, within a specified time period, to comply with the requirements of the site licence.

Apply for a caravan site licence

Before applying for a caravan site licence, you must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site, including having planning permission.

Transfer a caravan site licence

To transfer a licence to a new occupier you must seek permission from East Staffordshire Borough Council.

What happens after I apply to become a registered caravan site?

We will acknowledge your application within 7 working days and process your application within 2 months. If you have not heard from East Staffordshire Borough Council within 2 months of your application you will be able to act as though your licence has been granted.

How long will it take you to process my registration?

We will acknowledge your application within 7 working days and process your application within 2 months.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority within 2 months.

If my registration is refused, how do I appeal?

Please raise any concerns with the Council. However an applicant who is refused a licence or wishes to appeal against the conditions can appeal to their local Magistrates' court within 28 days.

What if I have a complaint or concern?

Please contact the Housing Standards Team.

If you require any further information please contact:
Housing Standards Team
Tel: 01283 508524

What are the licensing fees for caravan sites?

Fees are applicable to ‘relevant protected sites’ for the following activities:

  • Application for a new licensed site
  • Annual fee for the administration and monitoring of licenses
  • Transfer of a site licence
  • Alteration to conditions on an existing licence
  • Depositing of site rules and their publication
  • Service of Enforcement Notices

East Staffordshire Borough Councils Mobile Homes Fee Policy 2021 details the fees associated with the activities listed above.

Sites which do not fall within the definition of relevant protected site are still subject to the licensing requirements contained within the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, but the provisions relating to payment of fees do not apply.

Caravan Site Rules

Caravan sites are not required to have site rules, but where they do they should be prepared by the site owner for the benefit of both owners and residents. Good site rules benefit everyone by protecting the community cohesion of the site and ensuring that acceptable standards are maintained.

Caravan sites are restricted in the way they set site rules.

To set site rules, park owners are required to consult occupiers and any residents’ associations:

  • They must send a proposal notice which includes details of the proposals and the reasons for making them to occupiers and any residents' associations
  • Occupiers and residents' associations must be given at least 28 days to respond to the consultation.
  • Following expiry of the consultation period the park owner has 21 days to decide which proposals to implement, taking into account any representations made, and to notify the occupiers and residents' association of their decision.
  • The occupiers or residents' association have 21 days to appeal the park owner's decision to the Tribunal, if they consider that it is unreasonable or the correct procedure has not been followed.

Caravan sites are prohibited from setting certain rules, such as prohibiting the homeowner from making improvements to the home or pitch; requiring visitors to report to the park office or only allowing visitors to stay in the home when a homeowner is present, or restricting the homeowner to purchasing goods or services from the park owner.

Once the site rules have been agreed, they must be deposited with East Staffordshire Borough Council and we will publish them on our website.

The following caravan sites in East Staffordshire have deposited site rules:

List of caravan sites in East Staffordshire

To view a list of licensed caravan sites in East Staffordshire please see the Public Register of Caravan Sites

Fit and Proper Person

The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020, require the owner/manager of a residential site to be a Fit and Proper Person.

From 1 July 2021, site owners operating a relevant protected site must apply for the relevant person (themselves or an appointed manager) to be included on the register of fit and proper persons. A site owner may only apply if they hold, or have applied for a site licence for the site.

The applicant wishing to be included on the register will have to show that there are suitable financial and management arrangements in place for the site and to provide information relating to their conduct in relation to any of the following:

  • Offences relating to fraud, dishonesty, violence, arson or drugs or listed in schedule 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
  • Contraventions of law in relation to: housing, caravan sites, mobile homes, public health, planning or environmental health or landlord and tenant law.
  • Contraventions of law in relation to the Equality Act 2010, or in connection with the carrying out of any business.
  • Harassment of any person in connection with the carrying out of any business. 
  • Insolvency within the last 10 years.
  • Disqualification from acting as a company director within the last 10 years.
  • Has the right to work in the UK

The fee for inclusion is £255.23 and is detailed in the Fees Policy

A copy of the register can be found here.  Register of fit and proper person

Further information